Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Ponder the Path

An interesting theme has come out through my devotions this past week.  Even more interesting in light of my blog being named "Random thoughts on the Path"!  I memorized the 23rd Psalm and verse 3 says "He leads me in paths of righteousness". God has been faithful always to lead me. Unfortunately I have on more than a few occasions, taken my eyes off the path he has set for me. What follows is huge for me, "for his name's sake". The results of me leaving "the path" mean I have done something that can hurt His name.  This is a motivating force in my life.  I never want to hurt the name of Jesus Christ to those around me who see me leaving "the path".  So often we hear of Christians whose example hurts the name of Christ to the world around us.  I don't want to focus on what others do, or what I've done.  I want to focus on "staying on the path"! Being critical of other followers is not where I want my focus to be. As a follower of Jesus I believe "the path" is obedience to God, and following His Word.  I believe that path is set out for me via scripture, prayer, and sometimes other followers of Jesus.  Proverbs 6 says "In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make strait your paths".  Psalms 119:105 reads "Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path".  As I navigate this often dark world, and even my own propensity to be discouraged, I am thankful that I can depend on God's leading. As I've read in Proverbs this week, in a number of places it says to "ponder the path".  Webster's dictionary says the definition of ponder is "to reflect and consider with thoroughness and care, or to weigh in the mind with thoroughness and care". I like in scripture where it says in Luke 2 that after the birth of Jesus, and the visit from the Shepherds that "Mary treasured up all these things pondering them in her heart".  So after my heart attack I have had lots of time to ponder "the path".  In a world that has so many mixed messages, so many choices, so much information constantly barraging us, I am thankful for some time to ponder. I also hope that after my recovery when I'm back to "real life", that I continue to build margins into my life, for pondering the path.  That I will build rhythms into my life that I am able to listen, love, and rest all in God's care, as well as to listen to and love those around me. That my "cup overflows" and my outward actions are a result of God's inward working. So how are you doing?  Are you on the right path?  Hope you'll consider spending some time pondering that question this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment