Friday, January 24, 2014

Mercy Now

As I reflect back on the last week of my life I have traveled through a range of emotions. The emotions I'm feeling tonight are probably not the ones I wanted to talk about first, but so be it. For those of you who don't know, I suffered a heart attack last Thursday. I had a heart cath on Friday, but there was to much work to do, so we did it again on Monday! My 4 major arteries into the heart were basically blocked. This past Monday I received 6 stents in the heart to get the blood flowing again! I could say this is the worst thing that has ever happened to me and it might be true physically, and yet I can say perhaps it's the best thing that has ever happened to me. It has caused me to stop, stop running, stop multi-tasking, stop pretending I had it all together. You see God had a plan. Through this suffering He has gained my attention. Since I am ordered to "rest and recuperation" by my Doctor for 3-4 weeks, it has provided me some amazing time to listen. I am so thankful for the mercy God has shown me in sparing my life, and giving me more time, I pray to glorify Him. Three things at this point God has drawn my attention to, which I will try to flesh out more in the next few weeks.

    1. God uses suffering to help mold us more into His image.  As much as I dreaded suffering (especially physical), I can see so much positive about what has happened to me. Romans 5:3-5 is a verse I've used, taught, and spoken on, and yet for the first time I think I may be starting to truly understand suffering as it is used in this text.

    "More than that, we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character, and character produces hope, and hope does not put us to shame, because God's love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us"

So much more to say about this! I'll save it for the next post.

    2.  Prayer.  I just recently completed a two year journey focusing on spiritual transformation, with the Transforming Community led by Ruth Haley Barton. God spoke to me a number of times about intimacy with Him.  For some reason I didn't slow down enough to actually listen, and take in what the Alpha and Omega, the Truth and the Light, the creator of my soul was trying to say.  He loves me, He is chasing after intimacy with me.  He really loves me! I'm listening now, and that constant presence, and conversation with Him, I pray I will develop like never before.

    3.  Cynicism/Shame.  In conversation with God, I have become aware of my falling into the trap of cynicism.  I have been hurt so many times in my life. Hurt by those I most trusted. I don't think I can be hurt anymore.  So I haven't trusted anybody.  I have not trusted the goodwill of individuals or the goodwill of God.  Life has been hard, and I've become detached.  I don't remember the last time I really had true joy in my life.  I've learned not to feel, because when I was in touch with my feelings, I couldn't take the hurt, and I couldn't handle the emotions that came with feeling. So I've not allowed myself to feel anymore.  Somewhere in this whole mix is shame.  I know that shame plays some big role in my personality. I've started reading Brene Brown's book, "Daring Greatly" and I've found it so helpful.  All of this shame, and lack of vulnerability, I believe has so much to do with my past addictions.  Anyways this one may take some time to work through.

I am so glad that God has given me the chance to "come clean" with Him. That He hasn't given up on me.  I'm excited to see where this relationship will take me.  I'm scared to be vulnerable, and writing this blog makes me very vulnerable! I once again have come to the point in my life where I can do nothing but cry out to my Savior.  Abba Father, have mercy on me.

Two secular songs (don't be a hater) have helped me let out some emotions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IT7NiFpJmvI Mary Gauthier sings of the mercy we all need.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IT7NiFpJmvI I wish I would have posted this one first.  This is Jeff Buckley's version of Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah" a hauntingly beautiful song, that when in my occasional bouts of depression, speaks deeply to me.  It is a "cold and broken world" but it is the reality of "fallen man".  We struggle in this world, and that's part of the fall, but I am so excited that God is perfecting me and preparing me for eternal joy with Him. If I only listened to one, it would be this one.


  

9 comments:

  1. Great post Gary! Good insights thank you for your vulnerability. When you said Abba Father have mercy on me I almost wept. I guess I'm not at rock bottom yet cause when you said that I was wishing I was at that point. I will say having spent some time in close community with you. That you are being a bit hard on yourself but I'm glad God is working in your life and In your heart. I'm glad your feeling better I Love You brother God Bless You

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah keep blogging I enjoy reading them

    ReplyDelete
  3. In my journey with our King I have learned to rest in His plan, poeple will not stop being people, which means I will be hurt again, but He can use my loving response to that hurt to redeem that soul if I am willing.

    Thank you brother for sharing it was encouraging :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to be sure no one thinks I blame God for my heart attack. I am the one who is overweight, I'm the one not eating well, I'm the one with way to much stress in my life. I believe God in His sovereignty used this heart attack, to show His mercy to me. God knew I was on this path, and used it to teach, and bring me closer to Him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing. I woke this morning with a yearning to journal but I need to be better at it and more organized so I can find past posts and prayer requests that have now been answered. I was on my iPad looking for an app to help with all that. Then I checked FB and saw this. WOW. Not only is God ministering to you but He is using you in this way to minister to us. Thank you. You have experienced a lot of the same things that I did in Alaska but I did not journal them well. Thank you for putting into words what I am also feeling. Isn't it amazing how alike Christians are through the Holy Spirit, yet how alone we sometimes feel. Thank you, thank you

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nicely done Gary...the laying down of your heart I print...I encourage you to continue, the process itself is valuable in numerous ways.
    Reading back over these posts in the future will help you see even more clearly just how deeply the Lord loves you and desires only HIS best for you.
    Continue to heal...get stronger...and totally recover...my prayer for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Gary, I'm Jacque from Mustard Seeds and Mountains in WV. The church in Cadillac supports the ministry there. I've seen some of your posts on fb and was aware of your heart problems as you shared them. I saw your post about your blog so took a look. I think you are using the same whale tail as I am for my blog (I checked...yes it is the same one)!!! Randy set up my blog for me when I was diagnosed with breast cancer and started treatment in early 2008. I started blogging my journey (http://jacquesjourney.blogspot.com/) as I went through cancer treatment. Very good for me to write it down, and I got many positive comments to the point I am now writing a book about going through suffering and thriving through it. I like what you've written, it agrees with what I heard so many women say who had gone through cancer and as a result drew closer to God. I am happy, happy God has your ear! As a child I was diagnosed with MG (myasthenia gravis, a serious muscle weakness) so have learned to live with a chronic disease. There were many lessons I learned over the course of my life with MG which I applied to dealing with cancer. Whatever we suffer, dealing with it all comes back to the same basic truths God has for us in His word. I pray you continue to rest...and hear...and learn at his feet (reminds me of Martha and Mary) and continue to share with your readership. God bless you brother.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Lynn and Kathy. Wow nice to meet you Jacque. (via blogging!). I'll head over in a minute and check out your whale tail! I have been moved by the responses I have seen. I wish I could share so many things that the Holy Spirit has been doing through my experience. I don't want to mess up his work though so I'll just be quiet. Hopefully we can talk in the future. Are you on staff at Mustard Seeds? Look forward to talking to you in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jacque I'm sorry I know who you are! We've talked on the phone before!

    ReplyDelete